19 November, 2011

Tanya's Pumpkin Pie

This is not a recipe I have readily shared through the years.  But I always get so many compliments for this recipe because it is not the typical bland pumpkin pie.

This pie has a kick.

The crust is made with ginger snaps and pecans.  You can use walnuts and even almonds, but because I usually always have pecans with Georgia being somewhat nearby, I try to use them and I like to decorate the middle of the pie with 3 extra ones.

For the crust:
1-2 bags Ginger Snaps - I have baked them before but I prefer the ones they sell in the brown bag, Murray's Old fashioned.  I prefer to use these because they are ready at hand and I like to use them for other things too (Pumpkin Dip!).  I like to buy 2 bags, because I find I'll eat some while baking, this insures I always have more.
1/2 c ground pecans, plus 3 for decor
1/3 c white sugar/sugar blend, add to taste. You don't want it to be overly sweet, but you do want it to compliment the spicy of the pie.
6 T Butter, unsalted
1/2 t ground cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together and press into a 9 inch pie dish/pan.  Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 7 minutes. Chill for an hour.

Pie Mix:
15 oz pumpkin
12 oz Evaporated Milk
2 Lrg. Eggs
1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1 t ground ginger
1/2 t ground cloves
3/4 c sugar/sugar blend

Combine dry ingredients in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl, stir in pumpkin and add sugar/spice mixture.  Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

Pour into pie shell.

Bake in preheated 425F oven for 15 minutes.  Reduce temp to 350F bake for 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.  Decorate with the 3 pecans, this will also hide your knife mark. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

I always forget to take a picture of it when it's done.  I may actually add a picture to this post this week when I make it!

0 comments: