Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hours, 20 minutes
- 10 cups (5 pounds) peeled, sliced, firm, ripe pears
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1-1/2 cups seedless raisins
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks (2 inches long)
- Place the pears, peppers, raisins, sugar, ginger, vinegar, and salt in a saucepan.
- Tie allspice and cloves in a cheesecloth bag and add to the pan, along with the cinnamon.
- Cook slowly until pears are tender and mixture is thick, about 1 hour. Remove spices.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headroom. Run a rubber spatula around the insides of the jars to release air bubbles. Wipe the jar rims with a clean cloth. Place lids in position and tighten screw bands.
- Process in a boiling-water-bath canner for 10 minutes.
Yield: About 10 half-pints