- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2/3 cup Grenadine syrup
- 2 (16-ounce) pkg frozen cherries, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond extract
- 2 tablespoons Butter or margarine
- Pastry for double-crust 9-inc
- 2 teaspoons Milk
- 2 Pounds fresh cherries -- pitted
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
Pour cooled cherry mixture into pastry shell. Roll remaining pastry to 1/8" thickness; transfer to top of pie. Trim off excess pastry along edges. Fold edges under and flute. Cut slits in top crust for steam to escape. Brush top of pastry shell lightly with milk. Bake at 400ºF for 55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool pie before serving.
Yield: one 9-inch pie.
NOTE: Two pounds fresh cherries, pitted, may be substituted for 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen cherries; use 1/4 cup cornstarch instead of 3 tablespoons.